Welcome to the FAQ Page of PGEI!
You can use the Table of Contents below to jump to a question.
What is the difference between PGEI Free and Pro?
GEI Free is limited to only 10 installations of extensions. PGEI Free does not provide access to PGEI Pro videos and detailed descriptions.
For more information, please visit the PGEI Pro product page.
Can I install extensions without PGEI?
If you try to install extensions without PGEI, you can risk the following …
- incorrect installation can destroy saved projects and misplace objects in projects
- wasted time installing incompatible extensions
- users report complications when working with Photoshop and GIMP with free extensions that turned out to be malware
Instead, we advise you to use PGEI: In one click PGEI downloads, checks, installs and sets the extension for you. Here you can download PGEI for free: PGEI Free
How do I install Java for PGEI?
Link to the Java download website
Look for the lastest java
Download the lastest version
Save the file
Start the installation
Click on close
Start the latest version
What are the system requirements for PGEI?
For Photoshop GIMP Extensions Installer you need Java. Java has these system requirements:
- Operating System: Windows 10 (8u51 and above), Windows 8.x (desktop), Windows 7 SP1, Windows Vista SP2.
- Software: Java Runtime Environment – Java 8 version 251 or newer, either
- GIMP 2.8, 2.10, 2.11 (free) or newer or Photoshop CC 2019, 2020 or 2021 (paid, not included with PGEI).
- Access rights: Only possible to run with admin rights
- Internet connection: Permanent internet connection is required to use PGEI
- RAM: 1 GB or more Memory: 1 GB or more
- Processor: At least Pentium 2 266 MHz processor or better Browser: Internet Explorer 9 and above, Firefox, Chrome, Safari or other.Linux’s distributions and macOS are not officially supported.
What does the warning message at the start of PGEI mean?
This message only means that the Photoshop GIMP Extensions Installer has not been identified and certified by Microsoft. In order for PGEI Free to remain free of charge, a proper certification is not worthwhile.
Therefore you can click on “Run” without getting problems.
We are known from the following magazines and download platforms. According to Norton, Kaspersky and VirusTotal with over 70 anti-virus programs we are virus free.
PGEI Pro Awards
The Windows security message can be ignored without hesitation.
Why is PGEI Free free of charge?
PGEI Free is free because we want to give our customers a chance to test all features. PGEI Free contains all the features of PGEI Pro except for these
PGEI is an installer for GIMP and Photoshop extensions. Click here for more info.
What are extensions?
Add-ons / Plug-ins / Additions to a programme: You get new features without having to change the programme. These include brushes, gradients, plug-ins, batch scripts.
What do you need extensions for?
The purpose is different: to save time, to implement projects, to apply new techniques, to fix bugs in the programme and much more.
Why do I need PGEI?
If you want to finally concentrate on editing your images and don’t want to fight with Photoshop anymore. If you want to achieve professional results and create brilliant works of art.
Is PGEI Free free?
Yes. PGEI Free remains and is free. Forever.
I have purchased PGEI Pro. Where can I find the download?
You should be redirected to a protected, individual web page after paying with PayPal, which only the buyers can see.
Check all tabs in your browser to see if the protected, individual download web page has been opened.
Alternatively, write a comment / mail so that you get the link again.
How can I uninstall / delete PGEI?
Please let us know via the comment field (BELOW) which error you are experiencing. We will try to fix the error and help you for FREE.
You don’t need to uninstall PGEI because it is an application that does not need to be installed.
You can go to C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and delete PGEI.
What to do if PGEI does not install the extension?
- Do you have Java installed? If not, install Java with this guide.
- Do you have a connection to the Internet when you start PGEI? If so, connect to the Internet and restart PGEI.
- Have you installed GIMP in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2 or C:\Program Files\GIMP 2? If not, move the GIMP installation to these folders (default installation). PGEI does not work with the portable version
- Did you start PGEI with administrator privileges? If not, start PGEI with admin rights.
Is your internet connection blocked by a programme?
Then your antivirus programme is blocking the connection to our server. Therefore, create an exception in the antivirus programme or temporarily remove the protection.
We have been classified as safe software by 70 antivirus programmes. Some antivirus programmes simply block everything unknown.
- Is a proxy, firewall, VPN or other programme blocking the internet connection to PGEI?
- If yes, turn off the spears or create an exception.
If no solution works – Please write your request in the comment field (below) with the following information:
- Your email (will not be published)
- The name of the extension
- The graphics suite WITH VERSION NUMBER (e.g. GIMP 2.8)
- Java version number
- PGEI Pro / version number.
We will get back to you as soon as possible.
ERROR: NO connection to the database
Is there a connection to the Internet? Is an antivirus blocking the connection? Restart PGEI after establishing the Internet connection.
With Windows you can see this in the task bar
Virus programmes also block requests to the database. Please release PGEI.
ERROR: Admin rights NOT available
Please, close current PGEI window and restart with admin rights!
Attention: No installations of PS + GIMP found!
If the desired installation is not listed, select the installation location of GIMP or Photoshop (version: Custom PS / GIMP).
The GIMP installation folder should show the following subfolders and is normally located under C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0
For Photoshop, the directory is located under
and Scripts under
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC XXXX\Presets\Scripts
If you use other hard drives or installation locations, you must select the folder yourself.